Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sunshine


It was one of those Florida days when it is hard to tell if it is going to downpour or just sprinkle off and on. Mandi was scheduled to sing at an outdoor event that afternoon. The event coordinator told me that the sound guy had almost shut it down twice because of the weather. She didn’t know if Mandi would get to sing.

I watched as the band scheduled before Mandi was setting up. The sound guy rushed from the stage to his sound equipment, saying, “It’s going to rain again.” He adjusted the vinyl tarps to protect his equipment from the misting rain. He kept watching the sky as it darkened and the wind picked up.

Mandi‘s turn came and I found my place at the side of the stage. From there I could see Mandi, the audience, and a nice view of the lake.

As Mandi began playing, the sun began shining. There was no more rain. The sun setting on the lake was beautiful. It framed the view of everything I saw. And I saw sunshine. I saw it in Mandi, a happy little girl singing, playing, and swinging her feet. I saw it on the faces of the crowd smiling, clapping, and swaying to the beat.

And I thought to myself, what a wonderful world!