Wednesday, January 28, 2009

He had lots of questions

A few days ago, I was cooking supper, and one of the "good" kids was at our house.  He peeked over my shoulder and asked me, "So what ya' cookin'?"  I told him and he said it sounded good.  He proceeded to ask me why I homeschooled my kids, how long have I homeschooled them, how long have we lived in this house, where did we live before that, why did we move, what kind of house was it, who bought it, how much did we sell it for,  and what did we do with all that money?

I answered each one as best as I could and told him that the Dick had fixed up our last house until it was almost perfect and now we needed to fix this house up.  

He looked around and said, "What is wrong with it?" 

I then pointed at the floor in the laundry room, the one coat of paint on the walls, the unpainted trim work, and explained that we wanted to redo the kitchen and the  bathroom cabinets.

He said, "Oh, I see."  Then he asked for a drink of water and a few minutes later he left.

Later that night, I was talking to another mother who told me  the boy I had talked to was recently living in a tent in the woods with his brother, his mother, and her boyfriend. And now they were living in an r. v.  

Now my conversation had so much more significance.  I was thinking that my house was inadequate and we need to get it fixed up as soon as possible and he wondered what was wrong with it.  Our house probably seemed like a mansion to him.  Something unattainable. 

My heart has been aching for him and so many other kids that I can not help.  I can not provide physical needs for all the kids that I meet, but I am determined  to point them to the One who can meet all their needs, no matter what this life brings them. They need more than anything the One who can do what no man can do, bring them into the kingdom of God, which is righteousness, peace and joy.

5 comments:

ann marie said...

I had no idea this story was going to go where it did. Thanks for sharing that! I will keep that boy and his family in my thoughts.

MYstory of HIStory said...

Wow - really makes ya think when you put on someone else's shoes & see much different perspective...

crispy said...

Perspective...

Thanks for sharing.

Julie said...

Wow what a story!

Smith Schoolhouse said...

wow, how sweet. you have some really awesome opportunities on your hands.